CHECKPOINT 3: PLOT THE JOURNEY
This checkpoint is all about crafting an incredible customer journey so that your tribe become raving fans who spread the word about your business and literally save you money on marketing spend.
Working hard now on this step means less work for you in future. This is the core of your business and brand and it is critical to success.
Your customer journey starts from the minute someone gives you money in exchange for a product or service.
Crafting an incredible experience for that person doesn't need to be expensive or hard! This is the time to get creative. Imagine all the cool things you could do to make your customer feel truly special on their journey with you.
I call these 'pops of wow'- and encourage you to step out of your business for a moment, look at the experience through your customers eyes and think about those little opportunities along the way where you can make it more fun!
- Have you clarified the transition your customer wants to make (the goal they want to achieve?)
(EG they are currently ... and they urgently want to ...)
- Are you guiding your customer through a clear, step by step journey to reach that goal?
- What are the 5 or 6 key checkpoints your customer passes through on that journey?
- How are they feeling at each step along that journey with you?
- How are you maintaining contact with your customers during this journey?
- What pops of magic can you add in to make them feel better and stand you out along that journey?
- When are you giving them opportunities to give feedback on your service?
- Have you spoken to any of your recent customers to find out what you could do better?
- How are you giving happy customers opportunities to spread the word about your biz?
(EG referral programs, affiliates etc)
Resources To Lean On
Feel like you've sped ahead?
Go Back to Checkpoint 2
How you treat your customer matters much more than how many followers you have on social media or how many people you have on your mailing list.
Many people make the mistake of skipping to 'marketing' or attracting new people to their business before they have an incredible process in place to make their customers feel special.
If you provide a remarkable experience for your customers- they will talk about it with their friends.
Their friends will tell their friends.
As a small business owner, this positive word of mouth marketing is invaluable.
The more customers you can impress, the less you will need to spend on helping people understand why to use your service and choose you over others.
Social proof is powerful.
So this is a key stage in the journey for you.
Take some time to nut out the journey your customer is on, the
transition they want to make and exactly how you help them make it.
Then, add in some 'pops of magic' along the way. Some little things that surprise and delight people- make their day better.
These don't need to be expensive. It might be a beautiful landing page, a funny gif in your confirmation email. Anything that builds on your brand values and stands you out.
Crafting an incredible customer journey will make you and your customers feel amazing. It's the foundation of a great business and I urge you not to move forward until you feel confident you know you're delivering a remarkable experience.